Thursday, February 23, 2012

The kids are alright!

Hey, how about some young, stylish people having fun?

This is a recent piece for a short essay in Philadelphia Magazine about how, despite increased unemployment, not all young people are unemployed and scrounging for money. Some have jobs, nice apartments, spending money for a night out, and are doing A-OK!
Thanks to AD Colin McSherry for this light, fun assignment.

 I will always enjoy drawing nice apartments and fashionable people! For this piece I just had to make sure that they weren't toooo nice, and still looked affordable for people in their 20's/30's. (though I wish I had that orange moto jacket, or the hunk's cardigan...)

Sketches:

Plus, lime yellow & pink. My new favorite color combo! I can't get enough of it. Expect more pinks from me in future posts!

5 comments:

Maike said...

Lovely composition and colors again!
I love the girl with the orange jacket. I would like to have her clothes!

Wouter Bruneel said...

Love it! Great color, great composition. Reminds me of the lifestyle illustrations of the 50's, lots of bright saturated colors.

Qin Leng said...

I really love your work. and in this particular illustration what gets me is the beautiful black silky hair!

Patricio OLiver said...

there nothing but awesomeness in this illustrations Kali

Nicole said...

beautiful illustration; I love the colours and shadings. the article sounds interesting too - a little much-needed uplifting/hopeful contrast from the sort of thing the news is saturated with at the moment.

that chick's shoes (and the jackets and pullovers!) are awesome. cool cats indeed.