Sunday, December 7, 2008

That Time of the Year

Hello again friends,
First, some news. The Bad:

My file that I was working on for the Popgun Comic Anthology 3 totally crashed and burned. I have nothing to show for the 3 weeks I've been working on it. I was even making a bit of a breakthrough in my own work and style, but there is nothing now. Believe me, I'm angry at myself for not making a backup copy.

Consequently, I won't be able to make it into the publication alongside my awesome friends and many other great artists. The first Popgun won a Harvey this year, and I have no doubts the 3rd will do even better.

I've pretty much lost the desire to draw. I had lost it when I came back from England, feeling like my work had gotten stale and bad in comparison to so many other people, and then used Popgun as an excuse to try and force myself to make something interesting and fun for myself again. Now that it's all been erased, I'm back where I started, feeling like I've wasted so much and not really knowing what to do next.


On a better note:

The wonderfully huggable (and, of course, supremely artistically talented) Nancy Muller was just on Drawn!, see here. Finally. :)
A little while back, my ever-amazing boyfriend Sam Bosma was also on Drawn! here. They spelled his name a little wrong, but they sure can recognize great artists.

Also, since it's been a while, here's another full page and spot in the December issue of AirTran's inflight magazine, GO!:





It's for an article on business philanthropy called "To Give is To Receive". To see what the layout looks like in the magazine, go here and type in "88" or "89" for the "Go to" page number.

Finally, I'd like to say thank you to those of you who post and tell me you like my work. Thank you. It's definitely an encouragement.

3 comments:

Sam Bosma said...

<. hgoy iryya i.yjda epa,cb- orm. jr,xrfo!

I just wrote, "We just gotta getcha drawin' some cowboys!" but you left the computer in Dvorak.

It'll be ok, it'll be ok. We'll make some cookies with the little candies on top and then eat them. Don't fret.

Jordan Jeffries said...

Uuuuuggggh I feel for you, my laptop died the summer after senior year with the semester's worth of work largely unbacked up. Thankfully I got ahold of Discwarrior and pratically cried with happiness as I saved everything (if you lost your file to a dead drive it's worth a shot).

For what it's worth I don't see your art as often as you do, but every time you post something I see developments and am consistently blown away. Seriously! You not working is a loss for us all.

Rebecca Bastian said...

Uggggh, I feel your pain Kali.

Jordan - I wish I had known about that! I lost most of my work from the second half on senior year, PLUS all my photos from my trip to Italy.